Saturday 19 November 2016

Trunkful of Quilts 2016

Over at Whims and Fancies there's a trunk show going on and so I just had to join in. I like nothing better than looking back at the quilts I've made and remembering the process. Sometimes quilts are a pure joy and seem to put themselves together but some patterns have me struggling and wondering if it was a good choice to make. I also like to make smaller quilted items and knitted items.

The swoon quilt was a love hate relationship. I made this for a friend's 25th wedding anniversary and I wasn't completely happy with the colour choices at first but it does work. 
This photo shows the blocks very well but was taken when the top was finished.

I asked my friend to send me a photo of the completed quilt as I totally forgot to take one but it doesn't show the whole quilt or the quilting. 


This quilt was made for the baby of a friend of my daughter. I used a variety of blocks as I wanted it to act as a sampler quilt. I have added the names of the blocks to my printed version of the photo.


A friend of my other daughter was expecting a baby at the same time so I used the same fabrics but different blocks to make her a quilt.


When my great nephew was born I made him a quilt. I used all solids for the top but a baby print fabric for the backing. This was fun to make but did my head in a little when trying to get the colour blocks in the right order.


I enjoyed making the binding for this quilt from the left overs of the rainbow fabrics. One quilt I really enjoyed making was this bird quilt. I used a pieced bird pattern I found on the internet and then used brown for the truck and branches of my tree. The quilting on each of the blocks is a trail with leaves. The brown is quilted to represent bark and the blue border has clouds quilted on it. This quilt was made for my husband to keep in his car and use when he goes bird watching (it does get very cold in those hides.)


Mini quits are fun to make and also make good swaps. This one was made from a picture I drew of my clematis in flower and used to make the piece for  a swap.



I almost didn't swap this piece as I liked it so much but I have the original drawings I made and can recreate a similar piece. This little mini was for a Christmas blog hop and is used to decorate my coffee table..


For another hop I made this Christmas pillow. 


This tote bag was made for using as a large gift bag for a double quilt I made my older daughter. She uses it whenever a large bag is needed or to store her quilt when not in use during the summer.


Finally just to show I do also knit here is a baby blanket I made for a colleagues baby. I have made this pattern several times and it is lovely to knit.


and another baby blanket in a basket weave type of pattern.


I hope you've enjoyed seeing my quilts and knitting. There's lots more to see over at Whims and Fancies.

Lyndsey

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, so many beautiful items. I love the Christmas pillow. Actually, I love them all, but the pillow was quite unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to see all your finished items. I particularly like the bird quilt you made for your hubby - and the knitted blankets are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again. I've just had a very happy time checking out all the other blogs taking part in the trunk show - thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to revisit your lovely quilts and other projects. I still really enjoy the tote in the garden photo such a lovely setting. And that Christmas pillow is outstanding, put me in the holiday spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, Lyndsey...I love them all, but I especially like the one up top. Thanks for joining in the trunk show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely collection! Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilts with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your quilts, I think the birds is my favorite though!

    ReplyDelete