Sunday 8 November 2015

Remembering the fallen and some slow stitching.

Image result for poppies

Today in the UK and Commonwealth countries is Remembrance Sunday. This is held every year as a day "to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen in the two World Wars and later conflicts" It is held on the second Sunday in November, the nearest to 11 November, Armistice Day, which is the anniversary of the end of hostilities in the First World War at 11 a.m. in 1918. Some people also know this day as Poppy Day. There is a National ceremony at the Cenotaph in Whitehall which members of the Royal family attend. Across the country there are lots of local events. Each year we take our Brownies and Guides to the local ceremony and they enjoy parading their flags and laying the wreaths. Each year we explain to them why it happens as for many of the younger girls they haven't known anyone who was alive during World War 2 and haven't learnt about it in school. My father in law, who did serve in the last war is in his 90's. Last year artists Paul Cummins and Tom Piper created an amazing installation of ceramic poppies at theTower of London to mark 100 years since the start of the first world war. You can read more Here

It seems appropriate on such a day to slow the tempo down and have more time for quiet reflection. Yesterday I finished the final bits of quilting on the baby quilt 


As you can see I did an all over meander except on the end panels where I did some straight line quilting. Well maybe not as straight as it should be. Even following guide marks I wobbled a bit.  I had some of this lovely pink spotty fabric for the binding and it was a quick job to join into a strip, press in half and attach to the quilt.


The only bit that didn't go completely to plan was joining the ends once I'd attached the rest of the binding. I mis-measured at the first attempt so I had a bit of unpicking to do. The second attempt worked fine and it is all ready to be stitched to the back. I shall start that once we have eaten dinner. Then the quilt can be put in the post and I get another Friday finish to show you. It will also mean I've finished my two main objectives for the month. It only goes to show that setting yourself goals really does work.

A goal for a little later this evening or even tomorrow is to hunt out the Christmas tree cross stitch I started last year. I know I won't finish it before Christmas but it will be great to work on it in the run up to the holiday.

Tomorrow is a work day so I doubt I'll get much sewing done but I must remember to pick up some apples on the way home as Denise at Count it all joy  made an apple pie and posted the picture on her blog and now I really want apple pie.

I'm linking this post with Kathy at  Kathy's Quilts  for her Slow Sunday Stitching. I love settling down in front of the TV on a Sunday night with some hand stitching. Tomorrow I'll show you how I got on with last week's stitching. I would take the picture now but my camera battery needs recharging.

Lyndsey


3 comments:

  1. I like the material you are using for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good thing to do with your Brownies and Guides. Even if they don't know any ex-soldiers, many of them will have ancestors who took part in the wars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed learning about the ceramic poppy exhibit.
    Hope you enjoyed your hand stitching on the binding... love the tiny polka dot fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete